Monday, January 14, 2013

Blah!

We have had a bad day with E. It is now 3am and he has just gone back to sleep after a night terror/tantrum/ear piercing screaming episode. He has been difficult all day; extremely argumentative, aggressive, heaps of vocal stimming (i.e. screeching or screaming) which he has not really been doing much of lately. Husband face and I discussed how well he had been doing since we started being stricter with his diet, and really limiting the amount of crap food he was eating, mainly lollies and chocolate. A day or two ago, I made a packet cake. It's not something I usually make, but I wanted to try out a particular technique and didn't want to waste perfectly good butter etc if it didn't turn out, so I bought the 79c cake mix. Well, the cake did turn out and E really liked it and had a fair whack of it today. The thing was full of food additives; some harmless, some not so harmless.
I have wondered many, many times in the past about whether or not food additives are a problem for E. He is certainly sensitive to many common allergens, and suffers hayfever and eczema as a result, but I have never seen such terrifying behaviour that seemed to obviously be a response to a particular food.
Maybe it was just a bad day for him anyway, followed by a bad night.
But I am going to get back to avoiding the processed shit anyway. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment