Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Triple Threat

Today I had a meeting/interview with an autism advisor who gave me a sort of information packet, and informed me that E had been approved for government funding. The funding is available for therapies - mainly occupational therapy, speech therapy and psychology - and some equipment if required. This means we can see the OT, and start seeing a speech therapist and a psychologist, without any out of pocket cost to us. The funding must be used before E turns 7, and is capped at $6000 a year (maximum of $12,000.) We have seen a psychologist, but did not achieve much from the sessions. We've been given a list of psychologists who work with autistic kids specifically which will (hopefully) work much better for us. Fingers crossed.

This will ensure we are covering all bases, now, and giving him the best shot at an easy and stress-free transition to school. OT + speech + psych = success! Hopefully!

She said that I obviously have my head screwed on and that I seem to have a good grasp on what E needs. She commended me for having started therapy (psych and OT) before receiving a diagnosis, so that was good. She says we will be doing all we can be doing.

I did want to ask her specifically about schooling, as that is something we really wanted an expert opinion on. She said it is best to focus on public schooling as that is where the most support will be, and she said to start contacting schools in term 1 of 2013, so in a few months. He will start formal schooling in 2014 when he is 5 and a half. She has given me a list of what specific support classes are called and the specifics of them so that I am familiar with the "lingo," but I think he would be best in a mainstream class. We shall see.

All in all, it was a fairly positive meeting and I am feeling more confident about where we are headed. Now off to do more research, reading, googling ....

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful news Amy! I'm so glad the funding has been approved and I hope this is the start to making leaps and bounds for Elly Belly. Also glad the Dr told you what we already know - you're doing an amazing job and are such a great advocate for him! xo

    ReplyDelete